Paleo confession time: I used to love McDonald’s Filet o’ Fish. I mean, I LOVED them. I loved them. I loved them. I can’t express the love in any words. Maybe a video?
I get him. I loved that fake fish, fried crumb, nasty cheese-like substance burnt into the fish, and the heart-clogging tartar sauce.
Like this would not be unacceptable to me back then:
And you can’t pass off another fast food fishwich on me. Carl’s Catch? Barf. Burger King’s Whaler? NOPE. Long John Silver’s? Gag me. But McD’s? Yes. I don’t eat them anymore, but I do dream of them. And I’ve spent some time thinking of them and how to make one that not only I would love, but that my family would, too.
I think I nailed it the other night. One bite and my husband rolled his eyes back in his head and said with a mouthful, “damn girl, you did it again!” And then he ate 3.
Glutenfree Mini Filet O’ Fish Sliders With Garlic Pepper Fries and Citrus Slaw (gf, df, paleo) (Makes 9 Minis)
Gluten Free Filet O’ Fish
- 3 Large Mahi Mahi Filets
- 1 C Otto’s Cassava Flour
- 1/2 C La Croix Water
- 1 T Flavor God Garlic Lovers
- 1/2 T Dill
- 1/2 T Flavor God Lemon Garlic
- 1/2 t coarse black pepper
- Pinch salt
- Pinch garlic salt
- Coconut Oil
- Tessemae’s Chesapeake Mayo
- Mini Glutenfree Buns
- Heat cast iron skillet with coconut oil over medium-high heat. You’ll need about 1.5″ of oil for this.
- Cut each filet into 3 sections, this will give you 9 mini filets.
- Mix cassava flour, spices, seasonings and water in a small bowl. This will make a slightly roux texture. It is not a true batter, so don’t be surprised if its more on the runny side. You can adjust the water to your taste, but I don’t like my fish heavy on the battered side, so I go on the runny side.
- Dip all the fish filets into the mixture, thoroughly covering all sides.
- Once coconut oil is hot, and fish is battered to your liking, drop a few pieces in the oil, do not crowd the pan. Cook for 90 seconds on each side. If your pieces are thicker, cook a bit longer. Turn them. When cooked thoroughly, rest on paper towels on a plate.
- Cook all remaining fish the same way. Turning every 90 seconds. Rest.
- Serve on gluten free mini buns with citrus slaw, Tesserae’s Chesapeake Mayo, and sides of garlic pepper steak frites.
Additional Recipes Below:
Garlic Pepper Steak Frites
- 2 large gold potatoes, wedged
- 2 T minced garlic
- 1 T coarse black pepper
- Pinch salt
- Burroughs family farms garlic evoo
- Tessemae’s Ketchup
- Cut potatoes into wedges.
- Toss in a bowl with garlic, evoo, pepper, and salt.
- Bake on parchment paper in a 450F oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Turn over and bake for another 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with Tesserae’s ketchup.
Tessemae’s Chesapeake Mayo Citrus Slaw
- 2 c cabbage, shredded thinly
- 1 c carrots, shredded thinly
- 4 green onions, plus stems, sliced thinly
- 2 T Tessemae’s Chesapeake Mayo
- 1 T Burrough’s Family Farms Orange EVOO
- Squeeze of one lemon
- 1 T Apple Cider or Champagne Vinegar
- In a large mixing bowl, toss all ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- Chill for one hour.
- Serve on buns with fish filets, and as a side dish.