Candied Bacon, Butternut, and Pumpkin donuts. It’s true!
I’m gonna hit you hard and fast with a food pic. This might be my masterpiece. Can you handle it? Are you ready?
Are you sure? You think so?
Ok, I warned you. Your bowl of cereal or peanut butter and jelly sandwich might not look so great after this..
That, ladies and gentlemen, is a Pumpkin Spice, Candied Bacon, Coconut, and Butternut Squash muffie (muffin top)…topped with a ghee-coconut-raw honey glaze. OH MAMA! See, good things CAN happen on Mondays.
When my 11 year old bit into his at breakfast this morning, he screamed with glee like a 5 year old girl! That, my friends, is a kitchen success!
I can’t take full credit for this recipe. The base idea came from this website, Edible Harmony, I just made some recipe modifications.
I doubled this recipe so I could have more, so all of the modifications are based on a doubled recipe. Adjust for your batch size.
- ½ cup of coconut flour
- ½ cup pumpkin puree (I used homemade How to Roast a Pumpkin)
- 1/2 cup butternut squash puree (roast a butternut squash just like pumpkin above)
- ½ cup of pitted dates
- 4 dried figs
- 1/2 c unsweetened coconut
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 cup of coconut oil
- 5 Tablespoons canned coconut milk
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1-2 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 4 Slices of Candied Bacon, cut into bits
Ingredients for the glaze: (optional)
- 1/4 c unsweetened coconut flakes
- Softened raw honey
• Preheat oven to 350 F.
• Using a food processor or blender, combine the pumpkin and butternut squash puree, dates, figs, coconut, eggs, oil and spices until the dates are completely ground.
• Add the rest of the ingredients and run the food processor for a few more seconds (If you are using a blender you may have to combine these ingredients manually in a bowl.
• Grease the donut mold, if you are using a silicon mold this step is not necessary. I also used a muffin top pan. I did half donuts and half muffies (or muffin tops).
• Pour the batter into the mold, do not fill to the top or will get a donut with a muffin top. Or a muffin top with a muffin top. Ha!
• Bake for about 25 minutes or until donuts and muffin tops are golden brown and a tooth pick inserted in the middle comes out dry. Baking time varies depending on the oven and the size of the mold, if using mini donut muffins it will take about 15 minutes.
• Set on a cooling rack
I have no “real” measurements here, I eyeballed it. But I used melted ghee, raw honey, and chunked coconut. I threw it in my baby 2 cup food processor and processed until it looked “right.”
I made both donuts and muffin tops. Here’s a little of what they looked like pre-bake.
The finished product.
And with the glaze! Hubba-hubba!
Happy Autumn, all! I’m gonna be posting about pumpkin spice everything for a while. Brace yourselves!